Thursday, October 21, 2010

While you were sleeping

While both my babies slept today I did nothing.

Well that's not exactly true... I did nothing I should have done, nothing productive.
I boiled the kettle, made a cuppa, cut a piece of weight watchers cake (which I may or may not have added some butter to) and hit the IQ button on the remote. A huge selection of unwatched, recorded TV favourites from the last few weeks stared back at me.
Last nights episode of Neighbours won out. I sat in the recliner and flicked out the footrest, I snuggled in, wrapped my hands around my coffee mug and let the tears roll as I watched (it was a sad episode).
After Neighbours I took a look at the time and realised I could make this a real trash fest. And so I did. I tuned in to a very guilty pleasure I have had since in University (where a group of friends would take turns watching on our study days and catch each other up). I spent a whole hour watching Days of Our Lives!!!
I know I know, I could have cleaned, I could have cooked, I could have tidied, I could have been writing something prolific but I chose to spend my time in completely unadulterated, slothful, trashy, bliss instead.

Two babies sleeping in my house is rare for a start, and I mustn't let Jaz know I have referred to her as my baby, but she is, but this amount of sleep is completely unheard of. Last night we went to visit some wonderful friends to celebrate a birthday. They have three children, one of whom is close in age to Jaz. The girls played until very late, jumping on the trampoline, sorry, 'tramampoleeeen' (in the dark) and playing Dora and building Lego, the girls adore each other and play so well together that I always feel bad telling them it's time to go their separate ways, but last night, both girls were beside themselves needing sleep so were easy to peel apart.

On the opposite end of the spectrum last night was Kayde, who cried and fussed a majority of the evening, despite a plethora of snugly affection and attention going his way, a combination of being snuffly, teething and being overtired. By the time we were ready to head home - our latest evening for some time, still before midnight but not by much - I was pretty worn down and emotional myself.

Jaz and Kayde, as expected, fell asleep in the car on the way home, were carried in asleep and placed in their respective beds. Craig and I headed almost immediately to bed and I completely expected Kayde to wake within the hour for his next feed. He had already slept through one on the way home and he always has one at about 2am.

I was woken at 4.45am!!!! To many this may seem early but to me.... Amazing!!! This was the longest Kayde has gone without a feed and definitely the longest sleep he has had in his five plus months with us.

And now today, for the last two hours, my beautiful babies have slept soundly, Jaz on the couch with a pillow and blankie and Kayde in his cot, tummy full of milk because he didn't want his 'food' today. Considering Jaz gave up her day naps back in April, and I find if she sleeps during the day I am in for a very late night, this is so rare that I just couldn't help but take advantage.

Now, bearing in mind that I have watched two of my favourite shows and that I also listed the things I 'could've' done instead, I would like you to note that though it is not prolific, it is not even well written, I HAVE done some writing. My blog has been written and many more subjects, mostly revolving around how much I love my children, family and life, are racing through my mind. ready and waiting to be typed (I really wanted to say penned but that would be a lie) the next time sleep this extraordinary visits my house.

2 comments:

  1. I think that time when the kids are sleeping should DEFINITELY be spent doing things for yourself. You can cook and clean while they're awake, you cannot recharge your mental batteries when they're awake though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for visiting my blog, im now following you ;)
    lovely post, we must spend more time on ourselves.
    x

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed my feelings of insecurity - Leave a comment, it's kind of like the 'I waz 'ere' of the bloggy world.