Thursday, October 7, 2010

A Real Mum

There are few things in life that can make a parent feel as completely helpless as having a sick child.
It doesn't even have to be a serious illness that brings out your fragility, a simple temperature can bring out the overprotective hypochondriac in all of us.
Well, in the past week both of my littlies have been unwell, nothing serious but enough to cause me concern. As many will know, whenever Jaz becomes unwell it goes to her chest, she has had her fair share of bronchiolitis, chest infections, coughs and even pneumonia but most recently has been diagnosed with asthma, it is well under control but still makes me uneasy whenever I hear her start coughing, so no wonder when she got a horrible persistent cough accompanied by a temp I was instantly on edge.
With Jaz I am now an expert at how to improve her breathing and offer her what she needs such as her puffer as well as a nice warm honey water (literally honey dissolved in boiling water and cooled...nice and soothing for a sore throat). So within a day or so everything had settled down and when I asked if she needed anything for her cough the answer was 'It's OK Mum, I just got a cough'.
And then I heard a raspy little cough coming from the nursery... Ohhh nooo
I am not one of these mothers that runs to the doctors at the first sign of a sniffle, Mum has instilled that one into me, along with viruses will sort themselves out and there's not much a doctor can do about them, cold air does not cause colds - viruses cause colds and my favourite - a cold is NOT the same as a flu (but that's a serious gripe I wont get into right now).
Anyway, after a couple of days of monitoring I noticed what I knew to be laboured breathing (having been told a few times of the signs to watch out for in Jaz) so it was off to the docs. We all bundled in the car and headed off .
On the way a conversation was had that went as follows:

Jaz - why we going to see Doctor Bron?
Me - Kayde's not feeling well so we just need to take him to see Doctor Bron
Jaz - I know what will feel him better! Just give him a superman lolly mum (Jaz has chewable multivitamins in the shape of a little muscly Michelin man that she calls superman lollies)
Me - Kayde's a bit too little to have superman lollies but that's a really nice thought Jaz
Jaz - Oh. Well I know what will feel him better Mum
Me - What's that?
Jaz - Mummy cuddles will feel him better! Mummy cuddles feel me better when I am sick!

All together now, Awwwwwww. If I wasn't a real certified Mum before, I sure am now! My cuddles can fix things... if that's not a sign of a real Mummy then I just don't know what is.

And just for the record, Kayde is on the mend although still very chesty, he was in respiratory distress when we got to the docs and was given some redipred to help him breath easier (redipred is a staple in our house unfortunately but I for one am glad it exists). Just goes to show, mums know their kids, even the new ones that we are still getting familiar with.

Stay well and give lots of cuddles freely, I know I will.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Case, I feel your pain! Maisie is a little wheezer too, and when she was in hospital with respiratory distress I was a mess. I hope Kayde is beginning to breathe a little more easily. It's so lovely to read your blog - I love the fact we're blog-buddies!!!! I look forward to seeing the Daily Motherism - keep it coming!! xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed my feelings of insecurity - Leave a comment, it's kind of like the 'I waz 'ere' of the bloggy world.