Thursday, December 30, 2010

T'was 6 days after Christmas

And all through the house, not a creature was stirring not even a .... oh wait... nope, not even a mouse!

Well what an amazing 6 days have just gone by. As I sit here, having not long finished tonight's very very late dinner, watching a telly movie and catching up on my favourite blog 'Team O'Toole' I ponder over what has been a fabulous week.

Tonight we returned from a few days away with my brother and his partner and children, we were joined also by my youngest brother. I adore spending time with my brothers, we actually see quite a bit of one and other but there is something very special about spending quality time with siblings, there is always something to talk about and a common thread, there is love, laughter and in our family, quite a substantial amount of ribbing.

We were lucky enough to have spent the last few days in Torquay (or Jan Juc to be more precise) at my sister in laws mum and step dads caravan (Nanny and Bills Caraban according to Jaz, not that it's her Nanny, but it is Oscars Nanny and that's good enough for her). We BBQ'd almost every meal, Craig slept in his swag while the kids and I lolled around on fold out sofas, there was play time at the park, skating at the skate ramp, a return to surfing after 15 years, picnics on large grassed hills overlooking the surf and coffee at cake in the centre of town.

But I think my favourite memory from this lovely trip is that of Kayde the Sandmonster!!! After bumping and bruising his way through the last few days (my beautiful baby boy has a fat lip, grazed chin and several eggs on his head due to his overenthusiastic will to walk and his uncanny ability to fall on his head) we took Kayde for his first ever trip to the beach. After slathering the children in sunscream (Jaz's word for it not mine), making sure everone had a hat (this meant Kayde was wearing a hot pink Dora hat, several sizes too big and turned up so he could somewhat see) we hit the sand. The biggest kid, Ryan, dug a hole big enough to hide in, Go Rye!!! and Jaz and Oscar ran around and fought over digging implements. Kristy and Taj lolled in the sun, Kristy as always managing to look completely glamorous and Taj seeming completely uninterested in what was going on around him, content just to laze the day away.

While all this went on Kayde took one look at his surroundings and with all the exuberance of a child on Christmas morning (and don't we all know what that is like) he flung himself headlong into the sand, he crawled and rolled and played and grabbing handfuls of warm soft sand he ate with gusto! In only a few short minutes one could be forgiven for not recognising him as a baby and thinking perhaps they had come across a miniature sandmonster of some sort. He was unrecognisable and my only regret for the day was that I had left my camera behind!!! I so very much want the image of him covered head to toe in sand, mouth full and slobbery grin beaming etched forever in my memory.

Well after a few beautiful days in Torquay it was time to head home, we decided that instead of driving home we would catch the ferry which just topped a great trip off. Jaz was able to see that cars could indeed go on a boat without making it sink and she was held by her dad as they watched from the roof of the ferry as we cruised toward home, returning to a loungeroom floor scattered with the spoils of Christmas day - something I will blog about soon. For now I just wanted to share with you the joy of spending quality time with my family...

Now to head to bed, ready to tackle new years eve and the resolution that just must be made and blogged about.

Good night all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't feed my feelings of insecurity - Leave a comment, it's kind of like the 'I waz 'ere' of the bloggy world.