Thursday, January 13, 2011

Rain rain go away come again another day?

On a day when many of us are glued to our TV screens watching the flood disaster unfold in Queensland and in between crosses to Brisbane we are hearing of wildfires in Western Australia and Flash flooding in New South Wales and Victoria. I feel very lucky to be living in Victoria, in an area where today's weather is muggy and a little uncomfortable with no flooding or fires in sight. I cannot get my washing dry for the humidity and the constant showers and the kids and I are sticky and uncomfortable. Yet I am feeling very lucky to be living safely, not having to worry for the safety of my nearest and dearest (though Jaz did lock herself in the toilet and it took me nearly a half hour to get her out but that doesn't really count as a crises as I knew she would be fine).

Having said this I cannot believe the complaining of those who think we are hard done by with this weather. Oh how dare it rain on school holidays, keeping the kids cooped up indoors!!! If this is the biggest problem you face then I really do think you should consider yourself lucky. I know I do. Then again, for the most part I truly enjoy spending time with my motley lot, though I often feel guilty for short changing them while I do my own thing and leave them to their own devices I feel that it is probably good for children to learn to play creatively and independently. Is it really so awful that you are forced to be in the same space as your school aged children? Or your kindergartners, preschoolers or toddlers? OK, so you are feeling frazzled and maybe you are stuck for ideas on how to keep them entertained, especially if they are 'outdoorsy' kids who would otherwise be out playing in the yard, here are some ideas to help you stay sane...

1. First and foremost - who says they have to stay indoors? It might be raining outside but it is delightfully warm, let them play in the rain, jump in puddles, look for frogs, make mud cakes and all without them freezing in the process. What is the difference between rain and say running through the sprinkler on a hot day (ahhhh those were the days). Forget the rules and encourage some rain play. Grab your camera, find some shelter (I'm worried about the camera not you) and start shooting. Rain looks amazing in photos.

2. OK, so you are not into soggy children, why not make a cubby inside, use some sheets, boxes, furniture, pretty much anything you have handy, help when needed but otherwise let them create their own little hideaway.

3. Make some musical instruments, fill some plastic bottles with rice for maracas, a plastic bowl with baking paper laid over the opening and held taught with a large rubber band, or even a length of wool makes a great drum with a small plastic spoon ideal as the drumstick. If you have a more 'rambunctious' child, go the upturned saucepan and wooden spoon as it is a much sturdier option. Don't forget to make yourself an instrument and sing away.

4. Create an obstacle course, it's OK if you don't have a large room, you can use a hallway or even a range of different rooms, two chair with a broom across them makes a great limbo obstacle, a hula hoop to go through, ribbons laid across the floor to hop skip and jump over, the ideas are endless and will keep kids amused for ages, you can time them or they can do it to music.

5. Speaking of music, remember the days of creating a production to put on for your parents? (or was that just some strange thing our family did?) Anyway, encourage your children to star in their own production, they can wear makeup, dress ups, have their hair done and put on a dance and song for Mum and Dad.

Still think you're hard done by? I didn't think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't feed my feelings of insecurity - Leave a comment, it's kind of like the 'I waz 'ere' of the bloggy world.