Friday, January 14, 2011

Going Bananas

I am not sure but I think I may be living with a family of monkeys not a family of humans. How else can I explain the extraordinary amount of bananas I need to purchase every week?

Just this last week my family has consumed 30 bananas. Maybe we are single handedly (not so sure that's a word but I'm sticking with it) keeping a banana farmer somewhere in business...

It actually became a talking point over a cuppa with a friend when my youngest brother (I have two) popped in and asked if we had acquired a monkey recently... I wondered what he was on about until I turned to see him staring at a reasonable sized bunch of bananas, if only he knew that those had been purchased to replace the pile that had already been consumed.

I really don't think it is just us. Bananas are just so very versatile, they come prepackaged, can be eaten raw or cooked (Mmmmm sauteed in Tia maria or Cointreau or deep fried with a serve of ice cream and maple syrup).

They go great in cakes and muffins, make the best smoothies and work really well as a baby food. What's not to love?

I am certain we will soon see a sharp increase in prices due to the Queensland floods and I distinctly remember the last time banana prices soared. It was around March 2006 when Cyclone Larry hit. I recall a friend of mine giving her son his first taste of banana, it was a real luxury, from memory bananas were approximately $17 per kilo, not bad considering an average banana can easily weigh up to 250g!!!!

I just hope that when prices soar again it is the farmers in QLD or the flood victims who receive a large proportion of the price rise, that they are not paid the same amount as they would usually be paid per kilo and then the retailers try to keep their income the same as it otherwise would be by hiking up prices. I understand the concept of supply and demand and completely accept the need for prices to rise in the wake of such a natural disaster, I just hope that the farmers are looked after too!!!

Now back to my light hearted look at my monkeys  family and their amazing banana consumption.

I would love to know what your family eats, drinks, uses, consumes at some phenomenal rate.

Leave your comments below to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't feed my feelings of insecurity - Leave a comment, it's kind of like the 'I waz 'ere' of the bloggy world.