Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A search for the Holy Grail

Today just seemed to disappear. From getting up and watching our first episode of Mickey at 6am till I officially knocked off Mummy duties (at least for the next few hours) at about 8pm I somehow managed to cram quite a bit in and yet seemed to achieve very little - at least to the untrained, non Mummy eye.
I did achieve one very important thing. I took a big step towards fullfilling a promise made to Jaz that had started to look futile.
Before the visit to play with cousins, and for two mums to share some adult conversation, shopping for a surfboard repair kit - for Craig not me, getting some finishing touches to prepare for Jaz's creche footy day, doing several loads of washing and cooking dinner, reading bedtime stories and tucking snuggly little bodies into bed. I found the Holy Grail!!!!
After filling our tummies with breakfast it was time for Jaz to play with Bella (her dolly), Kayde to attempt a morning nap and Mummy to continue on her, thus far fruitless, attempt to find a Mickey Mouse cake tin.
This may seem unimportant, but not to me. Many weeks ago when I asked Jaz what she would like to do for her birthday, instead of what I expected her to say (eat cake, play with balloons, maybe even go to the park), her eyes lit up when she told me she wanted to go to the Mickey Mouse Club House and play with her friends, my heart sank as I realised she was telling me what she really wanted and there was no way I could deliver. I negotiated with her and we agreed that she could play with her friends at a play centre and Mummy would make a Mickey Mouse cake - I was yet to realise the full extent of how far I would have to go to keep such a seemingly simple promise...
Little did I know that it would take weeks - and I really do mean weeks - of searching online stores, contemplating having a tin shipped via ebay (at a total cost of nearly $40 and possibly weeks of shipping time), traipsing around the shops, calling cake speciality stores and being told that Mickey Mouse cake tins were not available in Australia and if I could locate one under $50 to buy a dozen because they were that highly sought after. I believed I was going to fail to deliver on my promise!!! Yes, as many people suggested I could create my own, but we all know that kids really do know a fake when they see one, especially when it comes to something they love, and well, I can be a bit of a perfectionist and couldn't face making a wreck of it.
This morning, shortly after 9am I finally FINALLY heard those words I needed to hear - "Yes we have Mickey". I think the neighbours could hear me exhale!!!! (And the best part, he's for hire at a very reasonable cost)
I had had a tip off, to call a cake store that my sister in law uses for her sons cakes, and thanks to that one conversation I can now bake a Mickey Mouse birthday cake for my princess' 3rd birthday party and so on Friday I will traipse over to Hampton Park all in the name of a mothers promise to get the tin that will make the cake that will take hours to make and only moments to eat!!! But I will make sure I take a photo of the Holy Grail of birthday cakes - MICKEY MOUSE...

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure you'll hate to hear it, but sometimes party goods stores have cake tins for hire. I've heard the one in Hastings does.

    ReplyDelete

Don't feed my feelings of insecurity - Leave a comment, it's kind of like the 'I waz 'ere' of the bloggy world.