Thursday, May 19, 2011

It's days like these

Today was one of those days that are filled with lots of wonderful little nothings that add up to a happy day. A little like a rainbow after the storm.

Over the past few weeks I have felt challenged, by housework, myself and certain behaviours that have been developing.

After implementing a few changes to how we do what we do this week I have noticed some significant changes and I think we are thriving within our new boundaries and routines.

Today saw Kayde undertake his first drawing attempt. Until today all he has seen drawing implements as are potential food - particularly chalk which he is weirdly drawn to eating. But today he picked up a pencil and a piece of paper and scribbled till his little heart was content, he laughed and bopped up and down in his seat as he is prone to doing and scrunched the paper around the pencil and seemed fit to keep going until the paper and pencil was confiscated by Jaz who decided he was finished. Kayde started to grizzle and Jaz tried to soothe him by handing him a different pencil and paper, the momentum had been broken and the grizzling was growing so we moved on quickly.

Jaz and Kayde played outside while I watched on, Kayde played in the Autumn leaves, throwing them over himself and eating them and Jaz took to the withered veggie patch with a little plastic spade proclaiming she was digging for buried treasure.

After eating a nice early lunch, after story and sleep time for Kayde and story time for Jaz I secretly watched her play with her ponies on her bookshelf while she was supposed to be resting.

We had a fabulous surprise lunchtime visit from Maddy who is always most welcome! Jaz told Maddy all about 'stuff' and Kayde had big cuddles, just perfect.

After Maddy's visit we set about going for a nice long walk and bike ride. Jaz rode ahead, stopping at each power pole to wait for Kayde and I to catch up. She went so fast on her balance bike that the front wheel wobbled, her helmet skewed off centre and she squealed whooooo and then came to a halt at each pole, straightening her helmet, regaining composure and waiting for Kayde and I to catch up before zooming off again.

After racing each other so excitedly to the next power pole that we ran straight past our street, we returned home, warm from the walk and the too brief burst of sunshine, we came home and headed outside - I hung washing while I watched Jaz and Kayde climb on their play equipment, run and crawl and climb and play. They dug for more buried treasure together and even played a game of 'gardening' apparently this involved Kayde sitting still, being a seed, while Jaz tipped spades of dirt onto the top of his head so that he could grow. Hmmmmm. Needless to say I put a stop to that game - after I had stopped for a moment to relish the simplicity of their game and how much they both seemed to be enjoying it.

While holding Kayde for one of his many cuddles he looked over to Jaz and said over and over again. Sisisisis. It's definitely a case of love. And it's mutual, though so is the frustration and annoyance at each other. They really are falling into their roles of brother and sister. Neither can do anything without the other joining in, disrupting, wrecking, loving.

During their free play time today I was most amused to watch Kayde follow Jaz everywhere, watching everything she did while she kept looking over her shoulder and calling to him 'c'mon kid, follow me kid'.

They have amused me all day and yet they did nothing other than be kids. Maybe it was the brief burst of sunshine, maybe it was having a lovely visit from my Mum, maybe it was finally feeling in control of my role at home or maybe it was just a lovely lovely day! Whatever it was, I wish I could bottle it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't feed my feelings of insecurity - Leave a comment, it's kind of like the 'I waz 'ere' of the bloggy world.